For whatever reason, there seems to be an issue with the LastPass browser extension in Firefox. Symptom: You click on the LastPass icon in the upper right corner of Firefox and nothing happens. You can’t login, open your vault or do anything with LastPass, since the context menu doesn’t load.
I’m not sure if it is LastPass’ or Mozillas fault – fact is though, that it is really annoying! I’m pretty sure that I am not the only person affected by this issue, as this (or similar) bugs have been reported by several others by now – just check out the links at the end of this article.
In this article, I’ll show you a workaround how you can access your LastPass vault anyway.
I tested this workaround with Firefox 52.6.0 (32-bit) and the Firefox Add-on “LastPass: Free Password Manager 4.9.0” (by LastPass), Last Updated: April 10, 2018 running on Windows 10 Professional (Version 10.0.15063).
Step 1 – Find out the extension ID
- Go to your Firefox extension settings
- Click on “Open menu” (upper right corner)
- Click on “Add-ons” (or simply use the shortcut CTRL+Shift+A)
- Click on “Extensions” (left hand menu bar)
- Click on “Options” of the “LastPass: Free Password Manager” extension
- Copy the first part of the URL in the address bar (from “moz-extension://” to the next slash).
- It should look similar to this URL: moz-extension://3a8dc5cb-116e-4243-8fff-98c6f3cc2493/
Step 2 – Open your LastPass login site in a new browser tab
- Open a new browser tab (“+”-sign or CTRL-T)
- Paste your extension ID from step 1 into the address bar
- Add “login.html” to the URL
- It should look similar to this URL then: moz-extension://3a8dc5cb-116e-4243-8fff-98c6f3cc2493/login.html
- Open the URL
Step 3 – Login and bookmark the page
- Bookmark the “login.html” page for your convenience (CTRL-D)
- Make sure the “Show Vault After Log in” checkbox is ticked
- Login with your LastPass credentials
- After you have logged in to your vault. you can bookmark that page, too
- (In case the vault didn’t open automatically, simply add “vault.html” to your extension ID after you logged in)
That was kinda simple, but really unnecessary, right?
This is not only a really annoying bug, but I’m guessing that it can’t really be that hard to fix. I’m baffled that LastPass obviously doesn’t really care about their Firefox users.
I really wish that LastPass – or LogMeIn, as LastPass’ owner – would finally take their users request serious again. This issue here also still hasn’t been resolved 🙁
Let me know in the comments if this worked for you or if you are having additional issues with the LastPass Firefox Add-on.